If you need a new generator, or you have an existing generator that needs service or repair, our proactive and well thought out plans are successful!


Someone will contact you today!


Send an email with your information.


Contact Form.




Do you have questions about how to check or change your oil during a power outage? 


Send an email with your question.

What is a managed, whole house generator? 


Size is important, a load calculation for your electrical needs will be necessary, we can help. 


How much of your home can be covered with the generator, with the correct management, all of it!


Click here if you need assistance.





Toll Free:



Click here to contact us!

Surge Protection for Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, and Surrounding Counties.

What is surge protection and how is it different than lightning protection? 

As with anything associated with electricity, using representatives that understand the products and their limitations is critical in providing either protection.

The facts:

Surge protection systems, installed correctly provides a path for high voltage redirection not necessarily the volume of energy. Also to be considered, surge voltage typically is not as high as that associated with a lightning strike.  Surge protection provides a path of this higher voltage back to the source, the source being the generator feeding the effected circuit.  Dependent on the volume of electrons associated with the surge, good attachment to earth can increase success.  In most cases the generator can be miles away and the energy of the surge dissipates thru all the ground attachment, at each power pole all the way back to this generator or more quickly thru the structure's earth attachment if the resistance is 5 ohms or less.  Surge protection will be most effective if the structure's attachment to earth is less than 5 ohms

Lightning protection systems are designed to redirect high voltage in large current volume.  Lightning arrestors attached to the structure basically attract lightning, or the energy, then redirect this energy thru conductors which are installed between the arrestors and the earth (ground).  All the energy is dissipated thru the earth via attachment points, either rods or grounding grids.  This attempted routing is for protection of the structure as well as the circuitry or electrical loads. 

Surge protection is a means for protecting your electrical equipment from high voltage levels which can occur for many different reasons, internal or external.  Surge protection’s main goal is to extend the life of electrical appliances.  To say it another way, surge protections can help to make sure that the manufacturer’s stated life expectancy of an appliance is maintained. 

Surge protection works with your existing grounding system.  It will only be effective if there is a good path back to the source from any point of the electrical system where a surge event might occur.  Good surge protection installations would include the verification of a good grounding bond between all electrical components which make up the electrical system for your structure. 

Surge devices for electrical system protection should be layered for maximum benefit.  The first level of surge protection only handles up to 90% of the surge, the remaining 10% would still be at levels high enough to damage equipment. A second layer would handle 90% of the first remaining 10% and this type redirection would continue thru each additional level of surge.  Typically for effective surge protection, three layers is recommended. 


Effective surge protection packages that include all of the following elements will be highly effective in protecting your electrical equipment:

  • Single point grounding to the source and earth ground, for all utilities, including electrical, phone, cable and or satellite services.

  • Protection equipment that has high surge current ratings for durability so that a single surge event does not take out the protector itself.

  • Protection equipment with low enough clamping voltage levels and quick response time.

  • Effective connection to earth with resistance level targets of 5 ohms.

  • Surge protectors installed in layers.

  • Surge protectors installed on all utilities, including electrical, phone, cable and or satellite services.

  • Effective grounding connections between all components of the electrical system of the structure being protected.

Your form message has been successfully sent.
You have entered the following data:

Surge Protection Contact

Please correct your input in the following fields:
Error while sending the form. Please try again later.

Note: Fields marked with * are required

Print | Sitemap
Under the DMCA or Digital Millennium Copyright Act, all content published online is protected under copyright law, regardless of it having the copyright symbol on the page. Any content, no matter the form it takes (whether digital, print, or media) is protected under copyright law. The author takes no responsibility for the timeliness, accuracy, completeness or quality of the information provided. The author is in no event liable for damages of any kind incurred or suffered as a result of the use or non-use of the information presented on this website or the use of defective or incomplete information unless the author has been acting deliberately or in a wantonly negligent manner. The contents of this website are subject to confirmation and not binding. The author expressly reserves the right to alter, amend or remove pages, whole and in part, without prior notice or to discontinue publication for a period of time or even completely.